May 30, 2007

Family Milestone



Friends: Elliot is now a fan. Of the Cubs, of course. My folks were in town for the weekend, and Mama got us all tickets to go to the game last night. It tells you something about our family that the only two full-price/new items my mother has gotten for Elliot are his "Mama said Vote for Obama" onesie and his Cubs sleeper. Around here, we like to start the process of indoctrination early.

I was a little wary of the game, and had conceeded ahead of time only to allowing Elliot to stay for the first couple of innings, which would have gotten him home only moderately past his bed time. But it was sort of sweet and hilarious to have him there. We all agreed that it was probably the single most stimulating experience of his life; actually, it was probably more stimulating than the rest of his life put together. So many faces! So many Big Noises! It was thrilling. So thrilling, in fact, that he completely zonked out in my mama's arms at about the top of the fourth. So we ended up staying most of the game...he was peaceful, and we were all kinda in to it, even though the cubs had their usually upsetting number of errors and bullpen issues. Ah, the cubs.

In other news, it was a really exciting weekend, movement-wise. I feel like he learned some new "going forward" technique every couple of hours or so. I mean, really: I went to run an errand on Sunday, and by the time I came back he'd perfected a whole new crab walk technique. So he was really making progress Sunday, but by Monday he'd gotten interested in a new strategy of "walking" on both hands and both feet, like a little Gollum, which was clearly both more advanced and less effective as a walking strategy. So we'll see where we go from here. Also, this morning when I went to fetch him from his crib (he slept awfully well, post cubs) he was sitting up in his crib. So, evidently he can do that now! Sit up from a lying position, that is. But I have yet to see him do it in person.

5 comments:

kati said...

So bummed! Daniel and I fell into Cubs tickets last night but I didn't have Brandon's cell in my cell and didn't know where you were sitting. I wanted to witness Elliot's first Cubs loss and put in a good word for the Sox. I think it is also important to note that it was free, pink Cubs hat night for the ladies. I see Abby is sporting hers.

kati said...

So bummed! Daniel and I fell into Cubs tickets last night but I didn't have Brandon's cell in my cell and didn't know where you were sitting. I wanted to witness Elliot's first Cubs loss and put in a good word for the Sox. I think it is also important to note that it was free, pink Cubs hat night for the ladies. I see Abby is sporting hers.

Katie said...

I'd love to get my hands on a Mama said vote for Obama onsie. I'm not above indoctrination early either. Or using my kid for a political mesage. Cute pic!

Roxanne said...

Elliot is now a true Chicagoan and at least he is cheering for the right team. Wait has he been on an El ride?

Anonymous said...

note to all: I purchased Elliot's Barack Obama onesie from CafePress.com.